The heraldic coat of arms of D. Francisco Javier Arias Dávila Centurión, IX Count of Puñonrostro

The current parish church of San Bartolomé, Apostle was designed by the architect Francisco Sánchez following the classicist style, in which a balance is proposed in the proportions of the building and in the decoration, inspired by classical architecture. It was built over the old one in two phases: the first began in 1779 and finished in 1783, being blessed on 23rd August 1783 by D. José Tormo, bishop of Orihuela, and the second concluded the work on the church under the direction of the architect Francisco Morell, between 1859 and 1863, with the financial support of Queen Isabel II.

The heraldic coat of arms of D. Francisco Javier Arias Dávila Centurión, IX Count of Puñonrostro, IX Count of Elda, VIII Count of Anna, VII Marquis of Noguera and III Marquis of Casassola stand out on the façade. He died shortly after the completion of the first phase of the church (1783).

The coat of arms is located in a principal position because he was the promoter of the construction of the parish church of San Bartolomé, Apostle together with the bishop of Orihuela D. José Tormo. It is stamped with a crown of marquis and crest with the representation of a wolf showing its head and claws.

The coats of arms of the noble families from which the Count descends are represented on the coat of arms, making it a true family tree.


The archaeological tastings bring to light the base of the old water source that presided over the Plaça de Baix

The works in the Plaça de Baix continue apace and the archaeological tastings have brought to light the base of the old water source that presided over the plaça, until it was demolished in the early 1970s when it was remodeled, changing its appearance even as we know it today.

As the Official Chronicler of the VILLA, Mª Carmen Rico, has published in several newspaper articles, in this square there was always a fountain and there is evidence of the existence of four different ones. The first news is from the early seventeenth century, specifically 1627 when its construction was approved. Almost two centuries later, specifically in 1890, it was replaced by another due to the state of deterioration, and in 1920 another built-in fountain was installed in the wall of the steps of the church, which replaced the one that was located in the center of the square. This disappeared when the stands were modified in the late 1950s. This last source, from which the base has now appeared, was in operation until the early 1970s.

Now, the team of workers, guided by the designs proposed from the city council, intends to recover at least one of those sources. As explained by the councilor for Urbanism, Fernando Portillo, it will be a fountain with three “retractable” type jets so that its use can be made compatible with the activities that this central place hosts. “Except in recent decades, water has been a traditional element in the square and with the new remodeling we want it to return to it,” said the mayor.